Spring has sprung in many parts of the United States and so have the allergies. Those that suffer from seasonal allergies often have to spend the majority of the season with a tissue in their pocket and a nasal decongestant nearby. In some places, allergy sufferers may fair worse than others. The seasonal Allergy Capitals Spring 2019 report was recently released and offered some interesting insights.
Top 10 Worst Places to Live with Spring Allergies
The Asthma and Allergy Foundation of American released their spring allergies research report and said the following cities were the most challenging to live in for spring allergy sufferers:
- McAllen, TX
- Jackson, MS
- Providence, RI
- Memphis, TN
- Springfield, MA
- Louisville, KY
- New Orleans, LA
- Scranton, PA
- Baton Rouge, LA
- Richmond, VA
The report was determined by pollen and mold counts, higher than average medicine use, and availability of board-certified allergists.
What Can I Do?
If you live in one of these cities, your allergies may be at their worst. However, there are coping strategies that may make your seasonal allergies more tolerable!
- Keep your doors and windows shut to prevent pollen from floating inside
- Run an air purifier in your home to capture allergens and improve air quality
- Take a shower at the end of each day to wash out pollen particles that may be in your hair
- Take your shoes off when you come inside so you don’t track allergens all over your home
- Groom your pets routinely to keep pet dander at a minimum
- Use a HEPA vacuum cleaner to suck up pet dander, dirt, and other small allergens that like to hide in carpeting and rugs
Find the Right Allergy Products for Your Home
Allergy Buyers Club offers a range of products like air purifiers and HEPA vacuums specifically designed for allergy sufferers. If you aren’t sure what you need, one of their experts can answer all of your questions and provide product suggestions based on your needs.