This is what I am doing to protect myself against airborne viruses. Nothing is fool-proof especially when you already have a compromised immune system, and when the government offers me a flu preventive shot, I will take it as I always do, but this time I will make it a priority.
1. Make sure that you and others cough into your arm instead of into the air; this is a practice which everyone in our office and my home follows.
2. Wash your hands frequently and thoroughly with soap, and carry a bottle of hand sanitizer with you to public places.
3. If I was traveling by airplane I would wear a mask, since I always without fail get sick from airplane travel.
4. I would take extra care to wash/sanitize fruits and veggies – who knows who has coughed on them in the supermarket.
6. I have been meaning to install an IQAir Perfect 16 whole house air purifier, but now since you cannot figure out ahead of time which room a virus can hit, a whole house solution seems eminently sensible, and I have more to justify the cost than my seasonal allergies which are causing me to have endless sneezing fits.
The IQAir Perfect 16 includes professional installation and delivers 6 air changes per hour throughout your home. It does not get better than that. Failing that I would recommend an IQAir Cleanroom or an IQAir HealthPro Plus room air purification models. I do have to add a caveat as to the efficacy of air purifiers – if the virus reaches you before it reaches the air purifier then you have no protection. You are more likely to have contact with the virus through a child bringing it home from school or if you have a job coming into contact with the general public.
7. For simply brilliant sanitization of your home using steam cleaning there is nothing that comes close to a Ladybug Steam cleaner with TANCS that uses nanotechnology to turn everyday water into an EPA registered disinfectant. I have one and love it for a myriad of reasons.
There is nothing out there that will give you 100% virus protection, without holing yourself up in clean room isolation, but a few simple precautions seem like a sensible thing to do.