For a lot of people on the East Coast, it’s been an unusually wet year before we even got to the indian summer. When combined with above-average temperatures, it’s created an unpleasant side effect across a wide swath of the US: the indian summer has extended period of humidity. The warmth and extra moisture in the air isn’t just a bummer for everyone who loves the crisp, cool fall air; it creates havoc for those with allergies, from all the mold and mildew, which thrive in dampness. Humidity can also affect your home’s infrastructure as well, causing moisture to pool (and contribute to wood rot) and musty smells from mold growth.
According to The Weather Channel, stagnant air often occurs during periods of elevated heat and allows dangerous levels of air pollutants to build up. USA Today reports on the many theories as to how the “Indian summer” term came into existence. The official definition from the American Meteorological Society’s Glossary of Weather and Climate states ‘an Indian summer is a time interval in mid- or late autumn of unseasonably warm weather, generally with clear skies, sunny but hazy days, and cool nights.’
According to the glossary, at least one killing frost and preferably a period of normally cool weather in New England must precede this warm spell in order for it to be considered a true Indian summer — a term that dates back to at least 1778 though, its probably been around a lot longer than that. A variety of theories about how the term started being used but a likely one is that it arose from the way American Indians used this extra warm period of time to increase their winter stores.
So far this year, the U.S. is sweltering through its second-warmest year on record, the National Centers for Environmental Information said.
If you’ve noticed some of the less desirable side effects from a long, wet summer — like musty smells throughout your home or basement — then there are some smart solutions like dehumidifiers, mold air purifiers and steam cleaners.
This commercial-strength dehumidifier is designed to stand the test of time, and is exclusively available through AllergyBuyersClub.com! The Fral FDK54 dehumidifier is well suited for use in basements, crawl spaces, building work sites and vacation homes and is our Category Winner!
- Maintains relative humidity in basements and crawlspaces up to 1600 square feet
- Functioning relative humidity range from 35% – 99% relative humidity
- Powerful 350 CFM motor for faster air circulation
- Offers 30% more coil surface area than competing brands
- Low energy consumption of just 510 watts
- Quiet operation rated at 43 db(A)
- Automatic reverse cycle defrost thermostat and hot gas defrost system allows operation in environments with temperatures as low as 33°
Read the reviews here!
Airfree air sterilizers are totally silent and kill 99.99% of all airborne micro-organisms using patented sterilizer technology. The Airfree patented ceramic core incinerates at 400°F, eliminating unwanted and harmful ozone, fungus, bacteria, allergens, viruses, mold spores and more. Not only are the Airfree air sterilizers energy-efficient, using the same wattage as a small light bulb, they require no maintenance and have no expensive filters to replace!
- For removing bacteria, viruses and mirco-organisms
- Maximum coverage: up to 650 sq. ft.
- Destroys 99.99% of all micro-organisms
- No filters
- Incinerator chamber heats to 400°F (204°C)
- Ozone free technology
- No fan
- Completely silent
- Continuous operation
Read the reviews here!
Imagine healthy cleaning with pure 295°F steam with no toxic fumes from supermarket chemicals! The US Steam White Tail US600 Vapor Steam Cleaner is surprisingly affordable and offers unrivaled value for your money. Make no mistake; this is no cheaply made steam cleaner as seen in infomercials. This workhorse handles tough cleaning tasks such as grout, tile floors, counter tops, upholstery, carpet stains and much more.
- Mid-range residential steam cleaner
- Pressure gauge for maintaining the ideal steam level
- Includes high-grade accessory set for multiple uses
- Reservoir-based steam cleaner with durable aluminum boiler
- Low water indicator light with automatic shut-off
- Interior copper tubing and brass threaded fittings
- Metal, epoxy enamel coated casing