Does your basement have that cool and damp unpleasant “basement” smell?
Then you probably need an effective basement dehumidifier. Here are some important tips to help you find the best dehumidifier for basement. The cool, damp feeling is probably too much moisture in the air and the unpleasant smell is most likely mold and mildew. The growth of mold and mildew is not only damaging for your home and belongings but can also be a health risk. Using the best dehumidifier for your basement will help remove excess moisture and reduce the humidity to a safe and healthy level. Once your basement’s humidity level is at 50% or lower it will no longer be a dreaded place to go and it will once again be a safe place to store your files, money, mementos, seasonal bedding/clothing, etc.
How do I choose a dehumidifier?
A basement dehumidifier is your best solution for removing excess humidity, preventing mold growth and eliminating that musty basement smell. When selecting the best dehumidifier for a large basement it is important to consider the following features:
- Size – make sure the dehumidifier for basements has the appropriate moisture removal capability and square foot coverage for the size and dampness of your basement. Larger capacity dehumidifier is better especially for a damp area. This chart can give some general dehumidifier sizing ideas.
- Low Temperature Operation – low temperature dehumidifiers are ideal for basements in cooler climates, as they will continue to draw moisture out at lower temperatures .
- Auto Defrost – this prevents the coils from icing up and allows the dehumidifier to resume removing moisture from the air.
- Automatic Restart – in case of a power outage, the dehumidifier will power back on when the power is restored.
- Humidistat/Built-in Hygrometer – allows you to set a desired humidity level.
- Continuous Drain Option – this ensures that dehumidifier will continue removing moisture and you will not have to worry about emptying the water bucket.
- Auto Shut Off – if you do not have the option to drain your dehumidifier and you must use the water collection bucket, make sure it has an auto shut off so the dehumidifier will turn off and not overflow.
Best Dehumidifiers for Basements 2018
Below is our selection of best basement dehumidifiers for 2018 list.
| BEST DEHUMIDIFIER FOR LARGE TO MID-SIZED BASEMENTS
The Fral FDK54 is out best rated basement dehumidifier of 2018 for large to mid-sized basement dehumidifiers because it is both energy efficient and a robust basement dehumidifier for harsh environments.
| BEST DEHUMIDIFIER FOR MID-SIZED BASEMENT
The Pure & Dry Whisper 70 pint dehumidifier is our best rated basement dehumidifier of 2018 for medium sized basement area up to 1400 square ft and features a built-in pump for easy water removal. This low temperature basement dehumidifier is a quieter than most and a great value for the money.
BEST AIR PURIFIER DEHUMIDIFIER COMBO
The Pure & Dry HEPA70 Dehumidifier and Air Purifier is our best rated air purifier dehumidifier combo for 2018 for large to medium basements. It’s quiet operation and HEPA air filter make it great for removing unwanted moisture in finished basement areas as well as improving air quality.
BEST COMMERCIAL DEHUMIDIFIER FOR LARGE DAMP BASEMENTS
The WhiteWing SuperDry 90 pint dehumidifier is our best rated professional dehumidifier of 2018 for large damp areas up to 3000 square feet. The WhiteWing SuperDry 90 pint dehumidifier utilizes a smart, self-monitoring system that analyzes real time performance data, automatically calculating ideal operating parameters such as fan speed and defrost cycle duration. It also features a built-in digital humidistat for accurate maintenance of your relative humidity setting.
With the huge selection of best dehumidifiers available it can be very challenging and time consuming to find the right one. When you have an immediate moisture problem in your basement that is affecting your home and family’s health, you don’t have time to sort through hundreds of dehumidifiers. But worst, you don’t have time to make a bad decision and purchase something that doesn’t work. Use this list to help you find the best basement dehumidifier.
AllergyBuyersClub is a trusted retailer of top rated large capacity dehumidifiers. Their product experts test and rate each dehumidifier they sell. They also have a Dehumidifier Hotline 866-627-4605 that you can call and speak to a product expert if you need help choosing the right dehumidifier for your basement.