The Alen Paralda air purifier entered the market as a “green eco-friendly” air purifier but Alen has recently repositioned it with a focus on its bacteria and virus killing capability. They now include a bonus Silver Ion HEPA filter to be used with the UVC germicidal light for maximum control of allergens, bacteria and viruses.
|1. Airborne Particulate Filtration|
|2. Gas, Chemical & Odor Filtration||N/A|
|3. Room Coverage|
|4. Noise Rating|
|5. Filter Life & Replacement Costs|
|6. Ease of Operation & Filter Replacement|
|7. Quality of Construction: Air-tight design, no off-gassing|
|8. Electronic Filter Life Monitoring|
|9. Manufacturer’s Credibility, Warranty & Return Policy|
|10. Quality of Filters|
|11. Value for Price|
- Great HEPA filtration performance removes airborne allergens such as dust, pollen and pet dander
- UVC lamp kills viruses and bacteria and helps prevent the spread of colds and flues
- Bonus Silver Ion HEPA filter included at no extra charge for maximum bacteria and virus control and your best protect against flu season!
- Good size room coverage of up to 400 sq ft.
- Extremely easy to access filter and UV lamp for simple and fool-proof replacements
- Indicator lights tell when to replace HEPA filter and UV lamp
- Lifetime warranty when replacing filters regularly
- Space saving tower design easily fits in any room
- Hidden cord wrap system lets you neatly store the unused power cord
- Programmable run times with corresponding fan speed settings to accommodate your schedule and air purification needs
- No carbon to capture odors, gases and chemicals
- No pre-filter to capture the larger particulates to extend the filter life of the HEPA filter
- No Carry handles or casters
- Glowing logo can not be shut off independently of the unit and may bother those who like it completely dark at night
- Programing the timer with the soft touch controls can be tricky to figure out (reference the manual for quick and easy programing)
The Alen Paralda air purifier offers a new look to the tower air purifier design. Its not the standard black tower that pulls air in through the back and releases it through the front. The Paralda’s translucent sides and green interior is a truly unique look that to our surprise actually fits with most decors in a variety of rooms through the house. Its airflow design releases air though both sides instead of the front to improve air flow and maintain a clean front view.
The Paralda comes with a HEPA filter for removing particulates, ozone-safe ionizer and a UVC germicidal light for killing germs and viruses. The HEPA filter does not have a pre-filter which means the filter will not have the lifespan of a HEPA filter protected by a pre-filter. Without a pre-filter, large particles such as dust and pet hair can quickly clog the filter. In the case of the Paralda, Alen’s 6 month filter change schedule is probably an accurate estimate of when the filter will truly require changing for those who use the air purifier for at least 8 hrs a day. The good news about having to change the filters every 6 months is you will stay compliant with Alen’s lifetime warranty requirement. The downside to changing the filters every 6 months is the annual filter replacement cost of $98.
The Parlada does not include any carbon for gas, chemical or odor filtration. This means it is primarily for those who are concerned with the removal of allergen and other airborne particles. During our filtration test, we recorded an average particle reduction of 94% on the first air pass. We were very impressed by this level of particle filtration. After an hour of running the Parlada in a room achieving 6 air changes per hour; your indoor air is going to be pristine clean. The manufacturer states room coverage of up to 400 sq. ft. but does not say how many air changes will occur. We calculated the room coverage to be around 169 sq. ft. to achieve 6 air changes per hour, which is what we recommend for allergy or asthma sufferers.
The Alen Paralda air purifier has a UVC lamp that is conveniently located behind the HEPA filter making it easy to access and change. It is larger than standard UV bulbs and runs the complete length of the HEPA filter so its UV rays can do a more comprehensive job of destroying bacteria and flu causing viruses caught in the filter. Despite its larger size, it still needs to be replaced annually to maintain its efficiency and costs $59 to replace. Both the UVC lamp and the ionizer are claimed to be “ozone-safe” and when we tested it, our ozone meter registered no detectable ozone. The Paralda does give the user the option to turn the UVC lamp and ionizer off if desired.
Beside the Paralda’s unique look and filtration, it has a few noteworthy features that make it a popular choice among consumers. It includes a filter change indicator that monitors filter life based use, soft touch controls with LCD display, programmable time and unique cord wrap system. (On a side note, programing the timer with the soft touch controls can be slightly confusing, so please read the manual to avoid frustration.) Its tower design is lightweight making it easy to move and its small foot print lets it fit nicely in a small room. Its one-of-a-kind cord wrap system is the first we have seen and is ingenious as it eliminates excess cord lying around on the floor, which can look messy and be a tripping hazard. The programmable timer appeals to those who do not care to run their air cleaner constantly.
In summary, the Paralda does extremely well at removing particles from a moderately sized room. Its price is on the higher side, but is reasonable considering the Paralda’s design and features are a step above the common tower air purifier, and its protected by a conditional lifetime warranty.